[Coral-List] coral reproduction mode

Jacques Idechong jidechong at picrc.org
Thu Mar 31 19:29:49 EDT 2011

Aurelie,

Not familiar with any references but working directly with porites species
in Hawaii showed them to be year-round spawners with very small gametes. I
would think psammocora, with the size of their corallites would be the same.
Not sure about montastrea but most larger favids I've encountered are
spawners.  Not sure about Merulina scabricula but M. ampliata from Palau is
a spawner (See Penland et al. 2004 in CoralReefs 23:133-140).

Good luck with your search!

Cheers,
Jack

Jacques Idechong
Researcher, Palau International Coral Reef Center
1-Marina Road Koror, Palau 96940
(680) 488-6950

Message: 1