[Coral-List] Coral species list for Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System

Derek Manzello dmanzello at rsmas.miami.edu
Mon May 2 21:48:33 EDT 2011

Hi Alina and coral-listers,

Given the values you provided, I'm assuming you've based your ideas on
Table 1 from Orme (1977) within v.4 of the Jones and Endean books.

The numbers you refer to are from lagoon and reef sediments, not actual
reef frameworks.  The title of the Table is, in fact, "Some examples of
the composition of peripheral reef sediment".

Nobody is arguing that there other calcifiers on coral reefs. A lot of
these calcaerous materials end up in sedimentary environments, sometimes
in domineering fashion (e.g., /Halimeda/ in some lagoons).  However, these
sedimentary environments usually occur in the lee of A) structural coral
reef framework or B) some other baffling antecedent topography.

When I think of a coral reef, I think of a calcareous, 3-D, wave resistant
structure.  I do not consider the sediments that accumulate in the lee of
structural reef frameworks the actual coral reef.  Based on your argument,
any calcareous sedimentary environment should therefore be a coral reef.
Saying these other calcifiers contribute to the building of coral reefs is
like saying that the windows on a skyscraper are instrumental to its
construction.

I stand by Ian Macintyre's (1997) conclusion:

"Crustose coralline algae do not contribute significantly to reef
framework except in shallow water, high-energy environments.  In Holocene
reefs, which have had to cope with advancing sea levels, these conditions
have occurred mainly in the latter stages of reef growth, when there is
little space left for framework accumulation.  Thus the coralline algal
contribution to the overall structural framework in modern reefs has for
the most part been minor."

Best,
Derek

Refs cited
Macintyre IG (1997) Reevaluating the role of crustose coralline algae in
the construction of coral reefs. Proc 8th Int Coral Reef Symp 1:725-730

Orme GR (1977) Aspects of sedimentation in the coral reef environment. In:
Biology and Geology of Coral Reefs, v. 4.  Jones OA, Endean R (Eds),
Academic Press, p. 129-176

Hi Derek:

Contrary to your statements, and those cited from the 8th International
Symposium, there are a number of studies that have quantified the relative
contribution of the various calcifying taxa to reef building, and there
are large regional and local differences in these values.  In chapters in
the old (1973-1975) Geology and Biology of Coral Reefs and other sources,
analyzing which taxa make up how much of long reef cores, corals are
attributed with 5-45 % of the carbonate, red and green calcified algae
together 5 to 60 % of the carbonate, forams 2-40 %, and miscellaneous
inverts (echinoderms, mollusks, crustaceans up to 30 % of the carbonate.
So while I agree that the large coral heads and also the fast growing
branching corals are essential for reef formation, they don't do it alone.

Best,

Alina

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Professor of Marine Biology
Center for Marine Science and Dept of Biology and Marine Biology
University of North Carolina Wilmington
5600 Marvin Moss Ln
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
tel:  910-962-2362  fax: 910-962-2410  cell: 910-200-3913
http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta