[Coral-List] Coral species list for Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Tue May 3 22:05:19 EDT 2011

Hi Derek:

A few years ago Bob Ginsburg elected me as an "honorary geologist" because of my interest in the processes of reef building, so here goes my 2 cents worth with regard your definition of a coral reef only consisting of the coral dominated forereef.

A coral reef is much more than just the forereef framework.  The sediments that infill the cracks and crevices and troughs of the forereef are derived from bio-and physical erosion of coral skeletons and all the skeletal material from calcareous algae and calcifying non-coral inverts.  All of that accumulation and infilling is part of the reef building process.  The reef crest and reef flat and backreef lagoon are all considered zones of a coral reef.  The forereef dominated by hermatypic corals is only one of the many zones of the reef and not the only one that accretes over time.  Without the buildng of the reef crest-back reef-lagoon, the forereef would have no support and not be able to keep up with sea level.  If you examine the nice review chapters by Hallock and Hubbard in Life and Death of Coral Reefs (1997; C.E. Birkelan editor) you will see clear explanations of the reef building processes and the variety of processes, organisms in addition to corals, that are critical to reef building.  In fact, in Hubbard's chapter, take a look at the figure of reef structure and fate with changes in rate of sea level rise.  The process of backstepping, and eventually drowning are the result of carbonate secretion not being able to keep on building the leeward parts of the coral reef if sea levels rises too fast.

As coralo-centric as I am, I recognize the crtitical contribution of all the calcareous algae of all colors to the reef building process.  Except for maybe some A cervicornis haystacks, and some the E Pac Pocillopora reefs, neither of which have much real framework, you won't find a coral reef (defined as the whole structure as commonly diagramed from head to toe, not just the forereef) that has more than ca. 50 % of the CaCO3 made up of coral skeleton.

Best,

Alina

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Professor of Marine Biology
Coral Reef Research Program, Center for Marine Science
University of North Carolina Wilmington
5600 Marvin K. Moss Lane
Wilmington NC 28409
Tel:  US +1  9109622362  Call ; fax: (910)962-2410;  cell:  US +1  9102003913  Call
http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta