[Coral-List] Help ban Oil Exploration

Greg Challenger gchallenger at msn.com
Thu May 5 14:47:34 EDT 2011

Steve:

I don't decide where to drill and I would rather not drill anywhere if it were my decision (or possible).  I am mainly commenting on the technical accuracy in the expression "never recover".  If there are benefits to weigh, let's weigh them against an accurate portrayal of risks without letting our emotions play too much of a role. As scientists we are obligated to try to be accurate with our predictions of positives and negatives. I understand the best we can do is a range within which there will be disagreement.  However, there are a lot of data out there on oil and coral, including case histories, to help establish this range. I am also not the economist to comment on societal economic value. I know the Gulf states want the industry to stay despite the spill. I also know the oil industry hasn't done the people any good in other places like Nigeria.  I'd rather not see an offshore rig....but I don't live here alone and I do use energy.

Greg

Greg E. Challenger
Marine Scientist/Principal
Polaris Applied Sciences, Incorporated