[Coral-List] Help with Ceriantharia material from Gulf of Mexico or East USA!

Sérgio N. Stampar sergiostampar at gmail.com
Wed May 18 23:47:09 EDT 2011

Dear collegues,

My name is Sergio Stampar and I´m working on systematic of Ceriantharia
from Atlantic ocean.

Nowadays, I´m trying to review a species, Ceriantheomorphe brasiliensis,
that is recorded from Brazilian coast (part) and Gulf of Mexico. The
material from Gulf of Mexico has a number of morphological differences from
Brazilian material (holotype). However, I need molecular data of USA
material also. Apparently, the species of Ceriantharia has a very strong
biogeographic signal in West Atlantic. I performed a number of analysis on
another family of Ceriantharia (Arachnactidae) then I found a very
interesting result about vicariance processes.

Recently, I received some information that this “species” is fairly common
at North California coast (It is an image from Beaufort  –

http://www.discoverydiving.com/index.php?view=detail
<http://www.discoverydiving.com/index.php?view=detail&id=63&option=com_joom
gallery&Itemid=199#joomimg>
&id=63&option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=199#joomimg  and that is a detailed
picture - http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3148/3035895156_3c6524b38a.jpg)

In this way, I need some samples of this material from Gulf of Mexico or
East coast of USA.

Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thank you in advance and I´m sorry for this request.

Kind Regards,

Sergio

Sérgio N. Stampar, MSc.

Laboratório de Estudos e Cultivo de Cnidaria

Departamento de Zoologia

Instituto de Biociencias (IB)

Universidade de Sao Paulo (USP)

Rua do Matao, trav. 14, n. 101

Cidade Universitaria, Sao Paulo - SP

05508-090, BRASIL

phone: 55 11 3091-7619, fax: 3091-7513, mobile 9365-8191

CV Lattes-CNPq -  <http://lattes.cnpq.br/4152199471458387>
http://lattes.cnpq.br/4152199471458387

Projeto Ceriantos do Brasil -  <http://www.ib.usp.br/~stampar>
http://www.ib.usp.br/~stampar