[Coral-List] Lion fish consumption

Katherine Cure katherine.cure at gmail.com
Sat May 21 10:14:31 EDT 2011

The experience is otherwise elsewhere in Belize.
This week at Half Moon Caye wall in Lighthouse Reef, we had a barracuda and
Nassau grouper following divers for the duration of the 60 minute dive,
snapping at spears once lionfish were dead. It was actually a bit disturbing
to see barracudas getting so close and being fearless, to the point of
biting at my spear even when no lionfish were there.

I believe although it is excellent news that something is eating lionfish
(at least after speared by humans) we need to reassess how this is handled,
before we end up creating another fish feeding scenario, especially when
barracudas are involved.

Katherine Cure