[Coral-List] Caribbean reef sites with high fish abundance

Douglas Fenner douglasfenner at yahoo.com
Wed May 25 16:22:10 EDT 2011

It used to be that Cozumel, Mexico, was swarming with fish, including some of the big ones.  Nearly all their reefs are protected, and they were pretty serious about protecting them, as diving was a huge income source, it was one of the three biggest foreign exchange earners for Mexico, along with Cancun and Alcapulco.  It was not unusual to have a big black grouper hanging around your dive group like a St. Bernard (though sharks were rare in my experience).  I have not been back for well over a decade and cannot vouch for conditions now.  They used to have spectacular sponge communities, though there was some sponge disease at one point, they had so many sponges that the effects may not have been noticeable, I don't know.  I remember hearing that after an ITMEMS conference, some people from other parts of the Caribbean were surprised how good the condition of the reefs was.  That was some time ago.  There were plenty of parrotfish and angelfish
 in my experience, including big ones.      Cheers,  Doug