[Coral-List] November is Seagrass Month on SeaWeb.org

karim karim.benmustapha at instm.rnrt.tn
Wed Nov 2 08:33:59 EDT 2011

Hi from Tunisia
Nice to hear that the focus will be on seagrass, we ended last year a three
year marine survey over the Tunisian sousth east coasts to map the seagrass
meadows along 700 km linear km, from the shore up to 50 m depth and to study
their vitality in 32 locations, then to install #tags# (balises) in their
lower and upper limits. The mapping plan was done using direct marine survey
methods (diving and skin diving) and indirect ones (Satellites images, C3D
phase differencing sonar systems (high resolution side scan sonar and swath
bathymetry system), ROV and UW), tagging was done using usual methodology.
Our team did a very hard job and we are really happy with the results of
both issues (mapping and tagging).
We ll be happy to share the results with you, we'll be editing soon a
special issue of our bulletin summarizing the results (with an up to date
list of marine algae from that area, as well as an actual map of Halophila
stipluacea there.
Thank you