[Coral-List] Coral_List post: new editorial on coral demise in the Florida Keys published in Marine Pollution Bulletin

Curt Storlazzi cstorlazzi at usgs.gov
Wed Nov 23 13:49:55 EST 2011

Coral_List colleagues,

Please note the editorial in the newest edition of Marine Pollution Bulletin, volume 62, issue 12, pages 2581-2583 (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025326X11004917) titled, "Are we loving 'em to death?".

Whether you agree with author or not, I personally think such long-term historical views are necessary to understand many coral declines. Without such detailed histories of both natural and/or anthropogenic impacts, I find it difficult to put our typically small-scale, short-term field experiments in the context of the often larger and longer trends.

Or maybe, as a geologist, I'm just a believer of the quote attributed to Karl Marx, "the past is the key to the present",  which is a manipulation of James Hutton's and Charles Lyell's uniformitarian theory from the 1800s.

Curt

ciao.....
Curt Storlazzi, Ph.D.
U.S. Geological Survey
Pacific Coastal and Marine Science Center
400 Natural Bridges Drive
Santa Cruz, CA  95060
(831) 427-4721 phone
(831) 427-4748 fax