[Coral-List] $33B Hawaii Reefs Economic Value

Robert Bourke rbourke at OCEANIT.COM
Wed Nov 23 15:45:57 EST 2011

Steve;
	I disagree.  Just because we all believe that coral reef systems have a high value does not mean that we should support questionable survey techniques that give results that are obviously skewed way outside a reasonable value.  If studies such as this one are accepted, then other resource agencies, who manage different valuable resources, will merely hire their own economist to use an equally questionable technique to show that THEIR resource is more valuable and therefore that their agency should receive a larger portion of the funding pie.   It is our "job" as scientists to keep it real.

Bob Bourke

-----Original Message-----
From: coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov [mailto:coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov] On Behalf Of Steve Mussman
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 11:18 AM
To: coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
Subject: [Coral-List] $33B Hawaii Reefs Economic Value

Don’t lose sight of the fact that despite divergent perspectives on the methods of appraising coral reef ecosystems, it is apparent that there is unanimity on the basic principle that it is imperative to (in some way) effectively articulate the illimitable value of this resource and the gravity of current conditions.

Consider that perhaps the most compelling and persuasive approach should not be one-dimensional anyway.

What’s wrong with using monetary values to affect one segment of societies while utilizing a more esoteric approach with those who prefer dealing with more abstract ideals?

Invoke Machiavelli on this one.
Just do what you have to do to get the point across.

   Regards,
    Steve