[Coral-List] Invasive Tilapia

Abigail Moore abigail2105 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 28 21:58:19 EST 2011

Dear fellow listers

I also am most worried about Tilapia in brackish and salt water environments, thoguh this is the first time I have had any inkling others out there are also concerned. Research by a colleague has shown that the strains used in aquaculture here can withstand very high salinity, even above seawater, though growth is not optimal.

These Tilapia are now being grown in tambak, brackish-water ponds originally intended for shrimp culture. Even without actual marine culture being introduced there is I feel a high risk of escape to the marine environment through the water inlet and outlet channels as well as through flooding events.

Knowing what Tilapia have done to endemic fish species in the lakes around here (e.g. Lindu and Poso) as well as to the fish fauna of some smaller less famous lakes, essentially outcompeting to the point of extinction or near extinction of native/endemic species, it is indeed very worrying.

With the current policy of Indonesia becoing the largest aquaculture producing country in the world by 2015, and ambitioius targets by local governments, it is going to be very hard to stop such activities as are already underway or prevent their spread, unless some compelling economic argument can be put forward. One related to fisheries or some other current economic activity, not tourism which is not a realistic alternative in most of our coastal areas, thoguh almost all have coral reefs, at the very least fringing reefs, arguably the most vulnerable to Tilapia take-over.

Best regards

Abigail

Abigail Moore
Sekolah Tinggi Perikanan dan Kelautan (STPL)
Kampus Madani

Jl Soekarno-Hatta

Palu 94118
Sulawesi Tengah