[Coral-List] Coral Reef research needs

yusri yusuf yusri.yusuf at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 21:43:51 EDT 2011

Hi Julian
I think for coral reef management in Malaysia (at least), the most
important would be proper documentation of coral reef system itself,
the basic taxonomy (ecology) of the species in the ecosystem (coral,
fish, other inverts etc etc) as currently we don't have proper
documentation of those.  And after that would be the proper
documentation of the status of coral reefs at various islands at
marine park and non marine park islands.
Other than that would be the socioeconomic/anthropology study of the
interaction of various stakeholders and the coral reef ecosystems
(villagers, fishers, government agencies, tourism operators, etc etc)
thanks
my 2 sen
yusri

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Julian @ Reefcheck Malaysia
<julian at reefcheck.org.my> wrote:
> Hi listers
>

> If I were to put together a list of the most important research needs in
> coral reef science and management, what should be on the list? What are the
> most pressing or important areas that need to be looked at? In my ignorance,
> some areas that stand out are:
>

> -          Resilience
>
> -          Connectivity
>
> -          Economics
>
> -          Rehabilitation
>
> -          Climate change/acidification.
>

> But I am sure listers can improve greatly on this list. I would appreciate
> your thoughts.
>

> Thanks and regards,
>

> Julian Hyde
>
> General Manager
>
> Reef Check Malaysia Bhd

> www.reefcheck.org.my
>
> Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/rcmalaysia
>

> "The bottom line of the Millenium Asessment findings is that human actions
> are depleting Earth's natural capital, putting such strain on the
> environment that the ability of the planet's ecosystems to sustain future
> generations can no longer be taken for granted."

Yusri Yusuf
Institute of Oceanography,
Universiti Malaysia Terengganu, Mengabang Telipot,
21030 Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia.