[Coral-List] Help finding heavily overfished reefs in the Caribbean

Pawlik, Joseph pawlikj at uncw.edu
Mon Oct 17 08:20:56 EDT 2011

Hello, Coral-list members,

We're doing a study of the effects of fishing on sponge and coral communities on reefs in the Caribbean.
We would like to survey continuous fringing, spur-and-grove coral reefs, ~15 m (50 ft) depth, that are intensively fished using fish traps  or seines so that there are virtually no fish on the reef (except damsels, chromis, bait-fish etc).

Have you seen Caribbean reefs specifically like this?  If so, please let me know the locations.

Thanks very much for your help,

Joe

Joseph R. Pawlik, Professor
Department of Biology and Marine Biology
UNCW Center for Marine Science
5600 Marvin K Moss Lane
Wilmington, NC  28409   USA
pawlikj at uncw.edu<mailto:pawlikj at uncw.edu>; Office:(910)962-2377; Cell:(910)232-3579