[Coral-List] "non-reef" artificial structures

Danielle Jayewardene danielle.jayewardene at noaa.gov
Wed Oct 26 15:01:27 EDT 2011

Aloha coral-list:ers!

My colleagues and I wish to better understand the community structure
and dynamics of coral reef organisms associated with artificial
structures, specifically artificial structures found along the coastline
that are not intended to function as reef such as pier pilings, rock
groins, revetments, sea walls, mooring buoys etc. Our objective is to
compare and contrast with natural substrate/structures.

The majority of the literature, also previous discussion on this list,
pertains mostly to artificial reef: anyone have and care to share, or
know where to find monitoring/assessment data, studies, papers,
observations etc of specifically related to these inshore "non-reef"
type artificial structures?

Thanks for your time, and any help you can offer!
~Danielle

--
Danielle Jayewardene Ph.D.
Coral Reef Ecologist