[Coral-List] ICRS - Larval and settlement behaviour of coral reef organisms

Stephen Simpson simpsonstephen at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 8 04:19:41 EDT 2011

Dear Colleagues,

The 1 October deadline for submission of abstracts is fast approaching for the International Coral Reef Symposium (ICRS2012), to be held in Cairns from 9-13 July 2012. Full details are available at: www.icrs2012.com.

We would like to encourage you to submit an abstract for a talk or poster in our session on "Larval and settlement behaviour of coral reef organisms".

The abstract for our session is as follows:

Reef fish larvae use multiple senses (olfaction, hearing, vision, etc..)and exhibit directed swimming during orientation towards suitable settlement habitat. Crustacean and coral larvae also respond to some environmental cues, but their behaviour is poorly understood. These sensory abilities and directed motion make settlement a non-random process. Thus, understanding the behavioural ecology of settlement-stage larvae is crucial for modelling dispersal, ecosystem connectivity and self-recruitment. Larval ecology also provides opportunities for developing theory on random walks, group orientation and the evolution of dispersal. Additionally, there is increasing concern about anthropogenic disturbance of natural behaviour and interest in active management of larvae for conservation and fisheries. We invite talks on sensory ecology of larvae, habitat selectivity and settlement behaviour, sensory landscapes around coral reefs (including cue heterogeneity and distances of detection), and modelling studies of the effects of larval behaviour on dispersal, orientation and settlement.

We look forward to hearing from you, and hope to see you in Cairns in July...

Yours,

Steve Simpson, Jeff Leis, Ivan Nagelkerken, Uli Siebeck and Jean-Olivier Irisson

Dr Stephen D. Simpson
Marine Biologist & NERC KE Fellow
University of Bristol

School of Biological Sciences
Woodland Road
Bristol, BS8 1UG, UK

Tel: +44 (0) 117 954 5909 / +44 (0) 7900551883
Email: Stephen.Simpson at bristol.ac.uk / simpsonstephen at hotmail.com
Web: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/biology/person/index.html?personKey=njDuCp365xFexnW532D9vM92gtDcWU