[Coral-List] Invitation reminder 12th ICRS-Mini symposium Mechanisms of Calcification

Sylvie Tambutté stambutte at centrescientifique.mc
Tue Sep 13 02:50:45 EDT 2011

Dear colleagues,

This is just a reminder that we invite submissions of abstracts for
inclusion in the Mini Symposium MS6B: “Mechanisms of Calcification” (under
the theme of session 6 “Physiology and Functional Biology”)at the 12th
International Coral Reef Symposium, to be held in Cairns, Australia in July
2012. This mini symposium will highlight new developments in our
understanding of the mechanisms employed by marine calcifiers to build
calcium carbonate skeletons, shells and structures; the potential impacts of
climate change on skeletal building and possible adaptive strategies
employed by organisms to continue skeleton building under non-ideal
conditions.

We draw your attention that the abstract submission directly through the
ICRS website ( <http://www.icrs2012.com> www.icrs2012.com) will close on the
1st October 2011.

We look forward to seeing you in Cairns.  If you have questions, please
contact us directly:

Conveners:  Sylvie Tambutté  (stambutte at centrescientifique.mc); Michael
Holcomb (mholcomb3051 at gmail.com), Anne Cohen (acohen at whoi.edu)

Description of Mini-symposium MS6B:  Accurate predictions of coral reef
understanding of the fundamental mechanisms of calcification. How organisms
control calcification likely plays a key role in shaping their vulnerability
(or resilience) to environmental change, yet this basic question remains
debated, and even for a single organism, models may range from passive to
tightly controlled biological processes. We particularly welcome studies
seeking to integrate and reconcile data  obtained from both biological and
physico-chemical/geochemical approaches to better understand the mechanisms
by which CaCO3 crystals are formed and organized into functional skeletons.
We anticipate contributions from a range of disciplines that employ
different tools to gain insights into this process. This mini-symposium will
bring together studies of the interface between skeleton and tissue, work on
calcifying cells and organic matrices, geochemical approaches to
characterizing the calcifying environment and crystal growth processes,
studies of synthetic crystal growth.

Sylvie Tambutte - CSM

www.centrescientifique.mc

Tél : +377 93 30 12 11