[Coral-List] On Line Access to Coral Reefs Journal

Rupert Ormond rupert.ormond.mci at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 07:20:47 EDT 2011

Since taking over recently from Isabelle Cote as Corresponding Secretary
of ISRS, I have found that most of my mail has concerned members having
difficulty getting on-line access to the Society's journal - Coral
Reefs. This has led me to wonder how many other members have had
problems using this facility (and perhaps simply given up trying)?

All full members of the society are entitled to free on-line access to
both the current and past issues of the journal.  However, the process
of registering with the publishers website is not fully intuitive and
the instructions provided were not as clear as they might be.

Perhaps a main point to emphasise is that members initially get access
by using a temporary personal access code which is sent to them each
year by the publishers Springer. The access code comes embedded in a
web-site address which can only be used once. You use the access code to
generate your own user name and password which you then use on
subsequent occasions. The email is different and separate from the one
sent by Allen Press confirming membership of the society, and the access
code is different from your membership number. If you can not find the
relevant email easily, try searching for an email from "@springer.com",
including in your spam or junk mail folders.

I have now revised the instructions for getting on-line access to make
them easier to follow.  If there are further society members who have
been having problems with this, if you email me I will send a copy, or
otherwise try to assist.

--

*Rupert Ormond*
Corresponding Secretary, International Society for Reef Studies.

Hon. Professor, Centre for Marine Biodiversity & Biotechnology,
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh.