[Coral-List] ICRS mini-symposium 8C on Coral Calcification and Accretion

Ilsa B Kuffner ikuffner at usgs.gov
Fri Sep 16 09:23:20 EDT 2011

To our esteemed colleagues:
If your work involves investigating *Environmental and Biogeochemical
Controls of Marine Calcification and Coral Reef Accretion* we want your
abstract in our session! This mini-symposium is in the Ocean Acidification
theme.
Abstract for mini-symposium 8C on Coral Calcification and Accretion:

This mini-symposium will focus on the process of calcification in the
ocean.  We invite talks on any aspect of control over calcification,
including biogenic and non-biogenic, and over any temporal or spatial
scale.  The variables influencing calcification of coral reef organisms
and associated biota are of particular interest, especially when presented
with direct observations from the field, using manipulative experiments,
or involving paleoinvestigation, particularly during the Holocene.  Coral
growth and reef accretion in the context of ocean acidification, warming
temperatures, and changing water quality or light regime are of special
importance.  We seek talks demonstrating the natural variability of
calcification rates due to drivers like temperature, light, latitude,
season, nutrients, nutrition, and seawater calcium-carbonate chemistry.
The role of biogeochemical and/or ecosystem feedback mechanisms as
controls of calcification would also be desirable.
Conveners:
Ilsa B. Kuffner, US Geological Survey, ikuffner at usgs.gov
Andreas J. Andersson, Scripps Institution of Oceanography,
aandersson at ucsd.edu
Nick R. Bates, Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences, nick.bates at bios.edu

Please submit your abstract on the ICRS website by 1 October:
http://www.icrs2012.com/

Ilsa B. Kuffner, Ph.D.
US Geological Survey
St. Petersburg Coastal and Marine Science Center
600 4th Street South
St. Petersburg, FL 33701

Tel: (727) 803-8747 ext. 3048
Fax: (727) 803-2030