[Coral-List] Seeking Marine Scientist for Oceana Belize
MStiles at oceana.org
Thu Apr 12 18:16:16 EDT 2012
Oceana is seeking a marine scientist for our office in Belize, working in science, policy and communications. Please circulate widely, particularly interested in folks with caribbean experience in coral reef ecology and fisheries:
Marine Scientist, Belize
Location: Belize City,
Department: Science & Policy
Oceana is seeking a Marine Scientist based in Belize City, Belize. The Marine Scientist is a key member of Oceana in Belize, playing a substantive role in both policy and science on the Oceana campaign team. He/she plays a role in, and may have primary responsibility for, researching Oceana's major campaign topics, developing and achieving policy initiatives, and preparing Oceana technical reports. He/she provides scientific support on fisheries, offshore oil drilling and other marine topics. The position requires extensive outside contact, particularly with research scientists and representatives of other organizations. He/she must be available for travel as necessary, with some weekend and evening commitments.
The successful candidate will have responsibilities in the following areas:
* Cultivates relationships with partner organizations and scientists in order to generate support for Oceana's work, including sign-on letters and technical peer reviews of reports.
* Represents Oceana at external meetings with allies, stakeholders, the Government of Belize, and other organizations. Participates in conferences and workshops.
* Writes/edits or otherwise provides the scientific foundation for Oceana scientific reports and external communications such as public comment letters, petitions, activist outreach, and information requests.
* Organizes meetings, events, and field work as directed by the VP
* Carries out credible research on Oceana's campaign topics and other subjects relevant to Oceana's objectives. Conducts literature searches, carries out analyses of primary and secondary literature, drafts reports and policy recommendations. Gathers pertinent information and data through libraries, the web, government agencies and academia; analyzes data as appropriate and prepares reports accordingly.
* Contributes as a part of a team to campaign planning, advocacy and implementation.
* Manages a varied and high volume workload and works independently to meet deadlines and accomplish tasks.
* Assists the VP in preparing reports for funders and the Board of Directors, including writing/editing or otherwise providing the scientific foundation, as well as production and distribution to the intended audience.
* Performs additional duties as needed and/or assigned.
Education/Experience or Other Requirements
* Bachelor's degree with a major in a relevant scientific discipline such as biology, marine biology, engineering, toxicology, marine geology or oceanography required; Master's degree preferred.
* Familiarity with fisheries, oil pollution, coastal habitats, or marine ecosystems of the Caribbean strongly preferred
* Excellent writing, editing, communication, organizational and research skills required.
* Proficiency with Windows-based applications (MS Office Suite preferred). GIS and database proficiency strongly preferred.
* Must be willing to accept varied workload. Some long hours, weekend events, and travel may be required.
* Must have the ability to handle many tasks simultaneously in a dynamic work environment, with speed, accuracy, and courtesy, show initiative, and exhibit insightful planning and understanding of abstract concepts.
* Must maintain strict confidentiality in working with sensitive information, and possess excellent judgment in handling communications, expense budgets, other issues and personal relationships.
* Must exercise sound judgment and be able to represent Oceana in a professional and responsive manner.
* Spanish fluency a plus.
Oceana is a vibrant, results-oriented non-profit dedicated to protecting and restoring the world's oceans. We have a staff of 120 throughout the world: in the U.S. (including our headquarters office in Washington, DC; New York; Alaska; California; Oregon; New England and the Southeast); in Europe (Madrid, Spain, Brussels, Belgium and Copenhagen, Denmark); South America (Santiago, Chile); and Central America (Belize City, Belize). Oceana provides a competitive total compensation package.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by submitting a resume and letter of interest to Oceana via e-mail with "Belize Marine Scientist" in subject field to: resumes at oceana.org. You may also mail to Oceana, #33 Cor. Regent and Dean Street, Belize City, Belize, C.A. Preferred method is email. EOE. No phone calls please.
Margot Stiles | Senior Scientist and Campaign Manager
OCEANA | Protecting the World's Oceans
1350 Connecticut Ave. NW, 5th Floor | Washington, DC 20036 USA
T +1.202.833.3900 | F +1.202.833.2070
E mstiles at oceana.org | W www.oceana.org
More information about the Coral-List