[Coral-List] Marine Extinction: ten years on, from Dulvy et al.

Emma Hodgson ehodgson at sfu.ca
Wed Apr 25 20:28:07 EDT 2012

Hello Coral List,

Nick Dulvy, John Reynolds and I are updating the paper they published in
2003 in Fish and Fisheries, *Extinction vulnerability in marine
populations*(attached).
We are seeking to provide the world's first comprehensive list of marine
extinctions at the local, regional or global scale, both in a paper and
online.

We are experts in the field to inquire about any information on either
species listed in the 2003 paper, or on new extinctions.

Specifically we are looking for the following information for this
evidence-based compilation:

1. Species which have gone extinct

2. Date last seen

3. Method of search eg. trawl surveys from date x-y, personal
communications, etc.

4. Scale of extinction (i.e. *local*: the disappearance of a population
from a small area of habitat, such as the mollusc extinction from a bay in
California, *regional*: disappearance from a substantial part of an ocean
basin or former range, such as the Caribbean, or *global*: complete
extinction, within reasonable doubt.  Where there is doubt, we would still
like to know.)

We would greatly appreciate any information that you can give us. We
ultimately would like this to become a living database that will be
publicly accessible with full acknowledgements to everyone who has
contributed to it.

Should you have information that you would like to contribute, please email
me at ehodgson at sfu.ca

Sincerely,
Emma Hodgson – on behalf of Nick Dulvy and John Reynolds

--
Research Assistant
Earth2Ocean Research Group
ehodgson at sfu.ca