[Coral-List] MS student wanted: carbonate chemistry and coral reef ecology

Sam Kahng samkahng at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 1 21:48:26 EDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,
Please pass on this information to your promising undergraduate students and recent graduates:

The carbonate chemistry lab at Hawai'i Pacific University (HPU) will be recruiting a new MS graduate student for either Winter 2013 or Fall 2013 to study the carbonate system dynamics of coral reefs in the Hawai'i Archipelago. The goal of our research is to characterize the spatial and temporal carbonate system dynamics of coastal waters in Hawai'i including the physical forcings and biotic parameters that dictate these dynamics. Our marine laboratory is located across from the street from the ocean next to Makapu'u beach on the windward side of the island of O'ahu. Our research program is funded in part by the Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument (http://www.papahanaumokuakea.gov/welcome.html). Partial student financial support is available for this position contingent upon qualifications and performance.

Applicants must be highly motivated and independent, with an excellent academic record in physical and biological science, have a superior work ethic, work references, and experience/aptitude in analytical chemistry.  Special consideration will be given to permanent residents of Hawai'i and the US Pacific territories. More information about the HPU MSMS graduate program can be found at this website:  http://www.hpu.edu/CNCS/Departments/GradPrograms/MarineSci/index.html

To apply: Please send cover letter summarizing your qualifications and interests, a curriculum vitae, an undergraduate transcript (unofficial copy is fine) and the names & contact information for three references to skahng at hpu.edu and cwinn at hpu.edu. Applications that do not fulfill requirements outlined above will not be considered.