[Coral-List] NOAA Finds 66 Corals Warrant Listing under the US Endangered Species Act

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 16:14:19 EST 2012

Samples of the deep water putative Anacropora samples from Hawaii that Zac
refers to me were sent to me before I published my book on Corals of
Hawaii.  When I first saw them, I was sure they were Anacropora.  Several
other people have thought they were Anacropora as well.  They have thin
cylindrical branches, with no axial corallite and a small rounded bump
under each corallite.  After a while, I set them side by side with
Anacropora from Charlie Veron's collection at AIMS in Australia.  The
difference was clear.  The Anacropora had smaller corallites and a finer
coenosteum (which can be seen in the photos of Anacropora skeleton in
Veron's Corals of the World, 2000, but even better in Scleractinia of
Eastern Australia 1984 by Veron and Wallace).  Then somehow I got in
contact with Rick Grigg, who said he had seen colonies with these branches
in Hawaii that had an encrusting base that he identified as Montipora
capitata.  Anacropora generally has finer features including smaller
corallites than Montipora, though there is certainly variation in
Montipora.  Veron wrote that Anacropora is essentially Montipora without an
encrusting base.  However, there are several species of Montipora that are
branching that I have never seen an encrusting base on (maybe there were
small areas of base hidden under the branches?).  In general, Anacropora
has thin cylindrical branches that have a small bump or spine under each
corallite, as well as the small corallites and fine coenosteium and
 usually they are fairly easy to distinguish from Montipora.  Veron has now
described a species of Anacropora from the Red Sea (Anacropora spumosa)
that has somewhat more coarse features than the other Anacropora.  There is
a picture of the living Hawaiian coral and my explanation on page 199 on my
Corals of Hawaii book.
      Anyhow, IF the Hawaiian coral is indeed Montipora capitata, then it
certainly should have the same mitochondrial haplotype as Montipora
capitata.  Better to test the phylogeny with coral that is clearly
Anacropora.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if Anacropora should turn out
to be a branch on the Montipora tree.
      Cheers,  Doug

Fenner, D.  2005.  Corals of Hawai'i, A Field Guide to the Hard, Black and
Soft Corals of Hawai'i and the Northwest Hawaiian Islands, including Midway..
Mutual Publishing, Honolulu.  143 pages