[Coral-List] Have anyone used GoPro cameras for coral surveys?

Bill Allison allison.billiam at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 11:09:34 EST 2012

I've had experience with GoPro (and wide angle lenses on other cameras -
and most of the point and shoot cameras are fairly wide angle). The
distortion can be considerable and may be material for quantitative work. I
have found considerable linear distortion when I took length-width
measurements from stills. Point count data will be likely be biased. An
easy way to assess the distortion is to photograph a ruler or better still
some graph paper under water.