[Coral-List] Coral Restoration/Marine Affairs Internship position
vgalvan2000 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 09:19:46 EST 2012
Please post the following:
*I. Basic Functions of the Position:*
The Puntacana Ecological Foundation is currently accepting applicants for
mid to long term internship positions to develop and implement independent
research pilot projects under their Partnership for Ecologically
Sustainable Coastal Areas program particularly projects that aim to protect
and restore the endangered *Acropora* corals. The selected candidate(s)
will be collaborating on a daily basis with the project coordinator to
design and implement their independent research. Candidates will be
working on a variable but full-time basis determined by the intern’s direct
supervisor. The candidate is expected to work outside normal established
hours, participate in night diving and on other unscheduled events
depending on the needs of the PESCA program.
*II. **Duties and Responsibilities**:*
1. Working with the Project Coordinator, develop a prospectus for an
independent research study for which the intern will be responsible.
2. Work independently to implement the project and use available
resources to collect all data necessary.
3. Assist the Project Coordinator in activities related to the
maintenance and upkeep of the coral gardens in the Dominican Republic.
4. Assist the Project Coordinator in outplanting and restoration
5. Participate in, lead, or implement environmental education courses,
workshops, and/or training activities related to the PESCA program.
6. Suggest and design environmental education materials.
7. Help collect water samples when solicited by the coordinator of that
8. Assist the marine technician in activities related to coastal
9. Care for and provide basic maintenance to project equipment.
10. Work with other volunteers or interns to achieve the goals of the
coral restoration Project.
11. Commit to seeing the independent project and agreed upon internship
12. Interact and work well with other staff and personnel. **
*III. Work Relationships:*
*The selected candidate will be collaborating with: *
Puntacana Ecological Foundation Coastal Marine Department*: *Assignment of
Marina Dock Tender: fuel dispatch and storage.
The Marina: Use of radios, procedures and collaboration with the marine
United States Peace Corps: Environmental Education
Other coral restoration partners
Other Puntacana Ecological Foundation collaborators
*a) Education *
We are looking for candidates that are highly motivated and interested in
the preservation, conservation and restoration of coastal marine resources.
A bachelor’s in one of the following areas is preferred: biology, ecology,
marine biology, environmental studies, or other similar careers.
The ideal candidate would have experience in the marine ecosystems of the
Dominican Republic. Applying candidates must know how to swim and *possesses
a scuba certification *with at least 10 additional dives above those
required for Open Water certification. Rescue diver or advance diver
certification is preferred. Applicants must have the ability to work under
strenuous and adverse conditions including working with currents, waves,
poor visibility, long dive times and continuous back to back diving days.
The applicant must be able to work efficiently, problem solve, adapt to
changing situations and work independently under minimal supervision.
Interns must complete assigned tasks on time and with quality; must be
punctual and represent the best interest of the institution. Knowledge of
Microsoft Office is required.
At least Basic Spanish
The length of the internship is negotiable but a minimum of 4 months is
required. This is a full-time internship that can be served at any of the
established nursery sites in the Dominican Republic. Any compensation or
benefits are dependent on the location of the internship and available
funding. Interns are not illegible to receive the same benefits as
full-time staff. No vacation is awarded but days off can be flexible.
d) *Compensation and Benefits:*
Punta Cana Field Site only (all other sites will be provided at a later
· The Ecological Foundation will provide the candidate with on-site
dorm stile lodging which have electricity and running water 24 hours.
· Three meals daily will be provided. Breakfast is self-served;
lunch is at the Tortuguita employee restaurant which serves mostly
Dominican style meals. Interns have access to the Executive dinner at the
same employee restaurant.
· A small stipend depending on the qualifications of the candidate,
the length of the internship, and the AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS (Note: the
stipend is dependent on funding; in the past, the stipend has been as much
as 24,000 dominican pesos/month)
· The option of checking out a bicycle for local transport
· Office space with a computer
· At least 6 days off a month (No vacation is contemplated for this
*Additional Benefits Include:*
· A/C and ceiling fan.
· Semi-private bathroom with weekly housekeeping.
· A full kitchen with basic cooking utensils and a fridge.
· Wireless internet throughout the foundation.
· Television with Cable.
· Access to the Ecological Reserve and the freshwater lagoons.
· Within 5 miles from the Puntacana International Airport.
· Access to washing machines and dryers (at additional costs).
· Access to a 24 hour employee pool.
· Special discounts at the dive shop.
· The opportunity to travel to other localities.
A typical day as an intern could be described as:
1-2 dives in the morning depending on the needs of the project followed by
material prep or data entry in the afternoon. Occasionally, both mornings
and afternoons will be dedicated to diving related activities. Dominican
students/professionals are highly encouraged to apply.
Interested Candidates please contact or send your resume with a brief
letter of intent to one of the following:
Puntacana Ecological Foundation
Att: Coral Restoration Internships
Email: fepc at puntacana.com
Coral Restoration Project
Email: vgalvan at puntacana.com
Victor M. Galvan
Reef Restoration Coordinator
Punta Cana Ecological Foundation
Coordinador: Restoracion de Arrecifes
Fundacion Ecologica Punta Cana
More information about the Coral-List