[Coral-List] Impact of listing 66 coral species on coral research

Greer, Lisa GreerL at wlu.edu
Wed Dec 12 10:06:06 EST 2012

For what it is worth, I (a geologist) agree with Gene that understanding the geologic record may be essential to modeling the future of Acroporids and other corals. However, there IS geologic data to suggest that Acropora persisted quite nicely for very long periods of time in which purely natural but 'challenging' environmental and climatic changes dominated (and we were not yet impacting the reef environment). So some geologic data does support that recent decline may be anomalous.

Greer, L., Jackson, J.E., Curran, H.A., Guilderson, T., and Teneva, L., 2009, How vulnerable is Acropora cervicornis to environmental change? Lessons from the early to middle Holocene, Geology, 37: 263-266.

I know this is only one small study, but not all geological data suggest that pre-anthropogenic breaks in the Acropora record are common or as ubiquitous as they are today. There is a lot of fossil reef yet unexplored.

Lisa Greer
Associate Professor
Geology Department
Washington and Lee University