[Coral-List] Impact of listing 66 coral species on coral research

Jennifer Moore - NOAA Federal jennifer.moore at noaa.gov
Fri Dec 14 07:57:16 EST 2012

I urge everyone with questions about the ESA process and how it was applied
to these particular species, to read the Proposed Rule, and Status Review
Report.  In those documents we lay out exactly how we determined the 66
proposed species meet the definition of either threatened or endangered,
and why the 2 Caribbean acroporids should be reclassified from threatened
to endangered.  Also remember that we determined that 16 of the 82
petitioned species do not meet the definition of threatened or endangered.
Population size is one factor that we consider in making listing
determinations; however, there are several other factors including the
magnitude and certainty of threats to the species.  Further, in corals,
particularly fragmenting species, it is virtually impossible to determine
population size from visual census.  One must consider percent clonality
when applying census data to population estimates.

Please visit http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/esa/82CoralSpecies.htm  and read
the Federal Register Notice and supporting documents to understand the
process by which we made our determination.  Also if anyone has questions
for the NOAA staff who lead this proposal, please contact Lance Smith (
lance.smith at noaa.gov), Chelsey Young (chelsey.young at noaa.gov), or me (
jennifer.moore at noaa.gov).  We are happy to answer questions.

Cheers,
Jennifer

--

*Jennifer Moore
ESA Coral Coordinator | Protected Resources Division
727-551-5797 phone | 727-824-5309 faxjennifer.moore at noaa.gov
http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/esa/acropora.htm*

*http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/esa/82CoralSpecies.htm*
<http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/esa/82CoralSpecies.htm>*

To those who sacrificed careers of adventure in the wide-open spaces
to wrestle for conservation in the policy arena. *