[Coral-List] Impact of listing 66 coral species on coral research

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 16:21:46 EST 2012

Gene,
    I believe the question about the range is addressed by a statement in
the Act that says for a species to be listed, it must be threatened or
endangered "throughout all or a substantial part of its range."  So it
doesn't have to be all of its range.  How much is "substantial" is not
specified.
    Cheers,  Doug

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Eugene Shinn <eshinn at marine.usf.edu>wrote:

> Thank you Jennifer for explaining the listing details.  For years I
> had been under the impression that a species had to be threatened
> throughout it range to be listed. I see now there is no such
> constraint.
>
> Under the definition of the difference between threatened and
> endangered I note it says:
> "In terms of application, a species listed as endangered
> automatically receives the full protection of the act, including all
> prohibitions on the following activities: import and export; "take" -
> meaning harrass, harm, pursue, hunt, shoot, wound, kill, trap,
> capture, or collect, or attempt to engage in any such conduct;
> possess, sell, deliver, carry transport, or ship if taken illegally;
> interstate and foreign commerce."
>       I supposed the key word is, "harm" which could include the long
> list provided recently by Doug Fenner. Would Co2 or fire of any kind
> that produces Co2 qualify as "harm"?  It seems that what qualifies as
> harm could have wide interpretation and could include Parrot fish
> biting live coral. That is harm we see on every trip to the reef.
>
>       Most interesting is the sentence, " We must develop and
> implement recovery plans for all listed species regardless of listing
> status." Now we all know that will never happen. We are still waiting
> for the Acropra plan.
> Thank you for the clarifications. Gene
>

> --
>

> No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
> ------------------------------------ -----------------------------------
> E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor
> University of South Florida
> College of Marine Science Room 221A
> 140 Seventh Avenue South
> St. Petersburg, FL 33701
> <eshinn at marine.usf.edu>

Dept. Marine & Wildlife Resources, American Samoan Government
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA