[Coral-List] Impact of listing 66 coral species on coral research

William Precht william.precht at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 12:34:30 EST 2012

Just an FYI for those involved in the *Acropora* thread.

science-based resource management.  Accordingly, I was coauthor on a number
of peer-reviewed manuscripts that helped to set the path for the original
ESA listing of the two acroporid species.

These included the following:

Aronson, R. B., & Precht, W. F. (2001). White-band disease and the changing
face of Caribbean coral reefs. *Hydrobiologia*, *460*(1), 25-38.

Precht, W., Bruckner, A., Aronson, R., & Bruckner, R. (2002). Endangered
acroporid corals of the Caribbean. *Coral Reefs*, *21*(1), 41-42.
Precht, W. F., Robbart, M. L., & Aronson, R. B. (2004). The potential
listing of Acropora species under the US Endangered Species Act. *Marine
Pollution Bulletin*, *49*(7-8), 534-536.

I was also on the IUCN Coral Red-List team (with Jennifer Moore) that
placed the two Caribbean acroporids in "critically endangered" status
(based on the IUCN Red-List criteria).

Aronson, R.B., A. Bruckner, J. Moore, B. Precht, and E. Weil. (2009a) *Acropora
cervicornis* (staghorn coral). *IUCN Red List: The IUCN Red List of
Threatened Species*, version 2009.1.
http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/133381/0.

Aronson, R.B., A. Bruckner, J. Moore, B. Precht, and E. Weil. (2009a) *Acropora
palmata *(elkhorn coral). *IUCN Red List: The IUCN Red List of Threatened
Species*, version 2009.1. http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/133006/0.

Because of the 2006 ESA listing we have learned a lot about these two coral
species.  We know much more today than when these species were first listed
-- much of which was either funded or permitted through NOAA.  The point of
my post the other day was that there is more than just threats that need to
be considered in reclassifying the status of these two corals (nevermind
the other 66).  We now have actual population numbers, genetic diversity,
forward looking population models, a better understanding of the causes of
mortality (and resistance to mortality), and we have made giant strides in
developing restoration strategies (including a number of incredibly
successful pilot projects).  All these new data need to be carefully
considered as we move forward.

As for the threats -- coral bleaching, white diseases and syndromes,
predator outbreaks, hypothermic stress (esp. Florida), hurricanes, etc. are
all still with us.  Unfortunately, there is little that scientists,
managers, or the ESA can do to stop a regional pandemic, cold
front, hurricane, or the main threat in Alina's post -- human population.

On a more positive note, my view from the bridge is that things look better
today for the acroporids than they did in 2006.

But then again - maybe I'm just an optimist.

Happy holidays,

BP