[Coral-List] Listing Criteria Observation

Jon Skrapits jon at treasurecoastcorals.com
Wed Dec 19 14:20:51 EST 2012

Steve and Dr. Szmant,

Is government intervention founded to save the reefs? Are listed species in
FL on the rebound?

I understand that certain animals would benefit by restrictions but I don't
believe this is the case with coral. If over fishing, eutrophication,
global warming, marine ornamental harvest, ocean acidification, and other
debated causes are the problem then how will keeping the corals in the
ocean save them? Just as if our environment was declining due to slowly
elevating carbon monoxide levels or something else(imagine), staying here
would only seal our slow fate. Some would die before others but staying
here wouldn't be an option unless we reversed the trend which could take
decades and by that point we could be extinct.

If the ESA passes the proposed restrictions how would the FWC or any other
governing authority determine if the species in front of them is legal or
not? How will they determine if it was aquacultured or not? Aquaculture is
a friend to preserving the reefs. Need me to send you a clipping from one
of my 600 species for studying? Or should I hire a Dr. to write articles to
gain legitimacy on what is observed daily with the corals in my facility?
Does a dive show the same data upon observing a wild reef that I have
learned from my grown reef? It is much more intimate and species specific
on land since I don't have to hold my breath. Granted, the conditions are
not the same as in the wild but that does not mean data is totally
worthless. I have specimens that I have farmed for years that are
bulletproof and other that are very fragile. I see valid points in all
arguments for the mentioned issues destroying the reefs yet I can see where
they can be incorrect from the work I do. Not all scholarly articles are
100% accurate over time. If they were the reefs would be rebounding from
the years of agreed upon articles that are 100% accurate stating how to
save the reefs. There would also be zero disagreement about the causes of
why corals are dying.

Furthermore, what gives the government or anyone the right to restrict
something when we aren't 100% sure of the causes or how we are going to fix
the causes? Maybe the cause and solution haven't been found yet? I have
seen many corals show signs of die off while next to other corals that are
100% healthy. Then they rebound and do fine while nothing apparent has
changed. I have also kept pieces of Acropora for years with no problem and
thought they were bulletproof only to look at them in the morning and they
have lost all tissue for no apparent reason. Predation is not an option
since I quarantine and treat for any predators. I can saw corals in half
and they beg for more yet a slight swing in temp can do them in.

Dr. Szmant,

> "Can we please get back to real science and have some quality control over
> what information is broadly disseminated?"

Apologies for not using only scholarly articles. I didn't realize we were
being graded in this classroom. Also, the reefs need the average person
reading articles they can understand to become aware of the problems
encouraging them to get involved. Peer reviewed will not accomplish this.
The internet makes the average person "smarter" since there is access to
anything you want to learn.

The point of sharing the link was to show that there are findings in a peer
reviewed article cited by the NY Times(albeit poor science in the Times
article) that supports aquaculture as a sustainable means for the aquarium
industry. Why not use aquaculture for studying coral in a laboratory as
well and why not teach indigenous islanders to mariculture? Couldn't we
harvest and re-populate the reefs infinitely once we find the cure for the
die off?

Nevertheless, your point was well taken and it won't happen again. We are
both trying to help.

--
Thanks,