[Coral-List] Listing Criteria Observation

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 19 16:21:16 EST 2012

   Dear Gene,
   The role of Parrotfish in a coral reef ecosystem is indeed complex.
   I have often seen and heard them munching away on the reef all the while
   marveling at their beauty.
   Here NOAA's coral reef information system lists them among natural threats
   to coral reefs:
   http://coris.noaa.gov/about/hazards/#Reference:%20Biology%20and%20Geology%20
   of%20Coral%20Reefs
   But here is a more comprehensive look at the role that Parrotfish play:
    http://eprints.jcu.edu.au/15036/2/02whole.pdf
   Will we one day be spearing them to protect the reefs?
   Why is it that somehow I assume we'll conclude differently?
   Regards,
    Steve