[Coral-List] Listing Criteria Observation

John McManus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Wed Dec 19 16:37:06 EST 2012

Lest we throw out the baby with the bathwater...

Bellwood and Choat (1990) put it nicely:
"The assumption that parrotfishes represent a single group of grazing
herbivores is addressed by morphological, functional and ecological analyses
.. This assumption is rejected . "

Bellwood and Wainwright (2002) have a great set of histograms. Very few
species of scarids (parrotfish) are involved in substantial bioerosion. In
the Caribbean, only 1 of at least 6 species are involved. Only 2 of 15 Great
Barrier Reef System species and only 4 of 10 in the Red Sea are involved.

Most parrotfish are important algal grazers.

Bellwood DR, Choat JH (1990) A functional analysis of grazing in
parrotfishes (family Scaridae): the ecological implications. Environmental
Biology of Fishes 28.1-4:189-214

Bellwood DR, Wainwright PC (2002) The history and biogeography of fishes on
coral reefs. pp. 5-32.  In: "Coral Reef Fishes. Dynamics and diversity in a
complex ecosystem" (P.F. Sale, ed.), Academic Press, San Diego.

Cheers!

John