[Coral-List] Effective communications tools?

Ian Butler ian.butler at uqconnect.edu.au
Wed Dec 19 18:31:06 EST 2012

My two cents.....

I agree with you Gino, in my experience I have found the same in Papua New Guinea and Cambodia - find the "Big Man" (it usually is a guy...)  first and get that person on side.  This person may not be the person who you might think it is at first, ask around. It could be the oldest most experienced fisherman,  the richest person or the local police chief, for example - depends on the culture or group.  If that person is upset by you for some reason (eg  talking to others first)  you may find your efforts stymied.   Be sure to get the ladies on side, as well.  The ladies/wives always get so much done while the guys play chief... :)     (There may be a "Big Lady" amongst the ladies as well who can help get the ladies on side...)

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Cheers,
Ian