[Coral-List] Listing Criteria etc - FL impacts

Murdoch, Thad tjmurdoch at gov.bm
Thu Dec 20 13:43:57 EST 2012

Regarding Florida Keys impacts specifically (such as the mosquito spraying the Gene mentions) - it always amazed me as a Bermudian (where trawling has never been feasible) that the Fl Keys would allow trawling, and also that no one has tried to see if the sediment generated is having a negative impact on the hard corals along the reef tract. I have seen newly settled layers of silty-clay on the fore-reef at the W.Sambos MPA over 30mm thick during shrimping season...

Cheers - Thad

Thaddeus J. T. Murdoch, Ph.D.
Chief Scientist
BREAM: Bermuda Reef Ecosystem Assessment and Monitoring Programme;
Bermuda Zoological Society, PO Box 145, Flatts FL-BX, BERMUDA
Tel: + 441.293.2727 x144
Fax + 441.293.6451
http://www.bermudabream.org