[Coral-List] Tubastraea vs. Tubastrea?

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 14:43:38 EST 2012

Dr. Stephen Cairns at the Smithsonian is the world expert on
azooxanthellate scleractinian corals (Helmut Zibrowius is on Mediterranean
azooxanthellate corals).  He spells it Tubastraea in his many taxonomic
monographs, no doubt based on the spelling in the original paper first
using the name.  So that is the correct spelling.   Cheers,  Doug

On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Delbeek, Charles
<CDelbeek at calacademy.org>wrote:

> Curious as to what the correct spelling for this genus is. I have seen it
> spelled both ways in the grey literature and scientific papers and books.
> WORMS says it is Tubastraea.
> http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=267930 and I have
> always written this way, except for my first book where we spelled it
> Tubastrea and it was pointed out as wrong.
>
> Best regards,
> Charles
>

> J. Charles Delbeek, M.Sc.
> Assistant Curator, Steinhart Aquarium
> California Academy of Sciences
>
> p 415.379.5303
> f. 415.379.5304
> cdelbeek at calacademy.org<mailto:cdelbeek at calacademy.org>
> www.calacademy.org
>
> 55 Music Concourse Drive
> Golden Gate Park
> San Francisco, CA 94118
>
> Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/calacademy> | Twitter<
> https://twitter.com/calacademy>
>
> 'Tis the Season for Science - Now through January 6.
> Meet live reindeer, experience indoor snow flurries,
> and learn how animals adapt to winter.

Dept. Marine & Wildlife Resources, American Samoan Government
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA