[Coral-List] Ocean acidification is simply a bandwagon.

Drew Harvell cdh5 at cornell.edu
Fri Feb 10 17:19:04 EST 2012

Hey Alina, Katharina, Ove and list,  I thought this was a good exchange. I didn't agree with Alina for the reasons Katharina beautifully articulated, but I did appreciate her getting a very clear view stated. And I do respect that view, given that she has had her hand in OA work and the caliber of her work. And I sometimes also agree with the frustration about OA-- that we are so overwhelmed with the immediacy of the huge temperature impacts on coral reefs, that for some tropical oceans, OA lags a bit as the top priority. But of course, increasing OA is  the very unpleasant reason that we cannot expect corals to simply expand their ranges over a 50-100 year range in response to high temperature stress, because just as they get settled in rising OA will catch up with them.

The other problem is that there are parts of the oceans where OA is a priority issue NOW. I work part of the year in the US pacific northwest (San Juan Islands, Washington)-- a region where seriously low PH water is already upwelling and causing significant impacts for oysters, as an example. Some oyster hatcheries have needed to completely treat their water for low PH and there have been field mortality events of settling oyster.  We may also find these corrosive waters are affecting fertilization success and larval development of many critters, although that is hard to pinpoint in the field.

Best, Drew

Drew Harvell
Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future
Cornell University

On Feb 10, 2012, at 4:16 PM, Ove Hoegh-Guldberg wrote:

> Well said Katharina.  I was in the middle of writing a similar e-mail response to point out the misquote.  I have scrapped that effort now you have pointed out the problem so clearly.  Maybe Alina and others might also benefit from looking at the output of the recent IPCC special workshop on ocean acidification (http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/supporting-material/IPCC_IAOMBE_WorkshopReport_Japan.pdf).  This report reviews the issue carefully and objectively, trying to get an understanding of the current state of knowledge on ocean acidification and its implications. Given this, I hardly think that current research efforts are simply a short-term bandwagon effect. Given the fundamental and long-lived nature of the chemical changes that we are currently making to the world's oceans, it is an imperative that we thoroughly understand the implications and potential impacts.
>
> Cheers, Ove
>
> Ove Hoegh-Guldberg
> Global Change Institute
> University of Queensland

Drew Harvell
Professor
321 Corson Hall
Dept of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853
Telephone:  (607) 254-4274
Email:  cdh5 at cornell.edu
Web:  http://www.eeb.cornell.edu/harvell/harvell.html

Associate Director for Environment,
Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future
216 Rice Hall, Telephone: (607) 255-0091
http://sustainablefuture.cornell.edu