[Coral-List] Ocean acidification is simply a bandwagon.

Dean Jacobson atolldino at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 14 20:27:27 EST 2012

Listers:

The following comes from thinking how hope and other motivational emotions can complement our science...

Because I have a dear college buddy (still in contact via email) who is now an influential cleric (he was nearly elected Bishop of Washington in the Episcopal Church!) I recently asked him to consider how the environmental situation, including coral reefs, is reflected in his sermons, his ministry.  (I acknowledged that ecology is not taught in seminary, and that his job requires him to raise funds for his Cathedral).  He has not responded fully (he did endorse the concept of "original blessing"), I wonder if was a non-starter, or perhaps he is thinking long and hard on it.  I am finally acting on my long-held suspicion that we need to develop links with churches, even if it is outside our comfort zone.  They deserve to be told what is going on.  A faculty member (and one time SCUBA buddy) just died, and at the memorial service a paster spoke of him being a wise person,  who prepared for his death.  It is wise to prepare not just for our death,
 but for the lives of our children, for the environment future generations will experience.

Perhaps more of us should meet with pastors, it may help to pretend to be a church goer (I once was, I am sure many listers still are), show Slide shows, powerpoints... I am making an iMovie on my Mac, highlighting the situation on Majuro with many time series photos (*very* time consuming, with the temptation to "Ken Burns" it).  It will be shown on our local cable TV channel.  What I am showing is literally in their backyard, so I have a special obligation to share my photos.  I know that many on this list do this much more, better, and for much longer, and we have discussed this here before.  I am late in the game, and even so perhaps others could use a reminder!  It is worth the trouble.

PS:  the silt curtain has just been removed from the lagoon, by the Majuro reservoirs, where the latest coral mining was to have begun!  And, I am talking with a group from the Coral Reef Task Force by phone tomorrow.  Wish me luck!

Cheers,
Dean Jacobson
College of the Marshall Islands