[Coral-List] Reef destruction on Majuro

Nadiera Sukhraj sukhraj at hawaii.edu
Tue Feb 21 16:09:52 EST 2012

Dear Listers-

I have been quietly reading the discussion on this topic for the past few
months and have become increasingly frustrated with the amount of
misinformation being reported and the anger being directed to the wrong
people/agencies.  That includes some of the comments that were circulated
by Dean Jacobson who had no participation in the ongoing fight being waged
by the U.S. federal agencies that work to protect these resources.  And
most of that effort has fallen on deaf ears, including attorneys, the FAA,
RMI counterparts, etc. I am not replying from my work e-mail but will say
that I work for a federal natural resource agency with a field office in
Honolulu that has been heavily involved in this mess. And I can't rehash
all that has been done because it would be a very long list of letters,
meetings, conference calls, etc.  I can say that none of the agencies (EPA,
USFWS, NOAA, etc.) have been ignoring this huge problem, as has been
claimed by many, but need to point out that Majuro is a unique situation.
It does not fall under the 1995 UES (Environmental Standards and Procedures
for United States Army Kwajalein Atoll Activities in the Republic of the
Marshall Islands) that are laid out for the military islets in Kwajalein
Atoll.  And that is where most of the loopholes that would allow this
activity have originated.

We do not agree with using U.S. taxpayer dollars to pave over reefs,
destabilize shorelines, contaminate water supplies, reduce food sources,
etc.  I do not understand how people on here can think that U.S. agencies
would put this in their blind spot and pretend that it was not happening.

Unfortunately, there will be no lawsuits.  All communication is now being
handled by the State Department and the U.S. Embassy.  We are no longer
allowed to contact the foreign entities directly.

When asked to give technical assistance to the RMI in regard to the
environmental assessment, we did, and the head of the RMI EPA was
terminated.

Yes, the USCRTF will be discussing this again this week in closed meetings
and hopefully can gain some more support from CEQ.  Representatives from
the RMI will be there, but attacking them will not solve anything.

Please back up your comments with some facts before sharing them.  The
confusion is not helping the situation.

If you really want to complain- direct your comments to the U.S. Embassy in
the RMI.  It's all political now.