[Coral-List] Acropora recovery?

Eugene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Wed Jan 25 14:18:43 EST 2012

The request for information on Acropora recovery caught my attention
since I have been observing and photographing selected spots in the
Florida Keys since 1960. You can get a sense of this at
<http://gallery.usgs.gov/videos/334> Last summer I brought the count
up to 51 years of observation. The photographic survey at my two main
sites did not show  improvement. However, while cruising down the
reef tract and ending at Dry Tortugas I made several stops and was
surprised to see healthy clumps of Acropora cervicornis in a few
places, especially the lower keys, where I did not expect to see any.
I suspect , and hope, a recovery is taking place but can offer no
statistical evidence. I will be doing the same cruise in the summer
of 2012 and will be watching more critically. It would be great to
document recovery at Grecian Rocks and Carysfort. Many of you know I
have suggested that the 30 year decline is a natural cycle. That
hypothesis is based on C14 analysis of buried A. cervicornis  that
indicate two periods of  A. cervicornis absence during the past 6,000
years. (Shinn, E.A., Reich, C.D., Hickey, T.D., and Lidz, B.H., 2003,
Staghorn tempestites in the Florida Keys: Coral Reefs, v. 22, p.
91-97.). One approximately 500-year hiatus is centered at 4,500 years
before present and another is centered around  3,000 ybp. Earlier
work (based on coring) also showed that death of the A. palmata that
created the spurs at Molasses reef occurred over 1,000 years ago. At
Looe Key the die-off was around 3.000 ybp. Those die-offs have long
been attributed to rising sea level and creation of the tidal passes
that allowed inundation of the lower keys reefs by muddy
variable-temperature waters from Florida Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
       The highlight of last years Keys cruise was a brief look at Ken
Nedimyer's A. cervicornis nursery where around 2,500 individual
healthy colonies are growing more rapidly in mid water (clothes
line-like arrangement) than colonies on the bottom (according to
Nedimyer). The nursery growth strongly suggests that water conditions
are right for natural recovery throughout the keys. Keep your fingers
crossed. Gene
--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor