[Coral-List] Postdoctoral Research Fellow Position UNAM
banaszak at cmarl.unam.mx
Wed Jul 4 05:43:02 EDT 2012
I am currently seeking a suitable candidate to fill a postdoctoral
research fellow position at the Unidad Académica de Sistemas Arrecifales
of the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México located in Puerto Morelos,
Mexico. The main role of the successful applicant will be to conduct
laboratory-based experiments and field work on the sensitivity of
populations of Acropora palmata to different stressors.
The main objective of this project is to determine if the various
populations of Acropora palmata along the Mexican Caribbean are
differentially susceptible to thermal stress, ocean acidification,
ultraviolet radiation and diseases. The population genetic and clonal
structure of Acropora palmata (in collaboration with Dr. Iliana Baums) and
of its symbionts (in collaboration with Dr. Todd LaJeunesse) will be
determined followed by experiments under controlled conditions to assess
the sensitivity or robustness of the different populations to the
Candidates must possess the following:
1) A PhD in Marine Biology or a related topic.
2) A good publication record with first author experience and a strong
motivation to publish in international journals.
3) Scuba diving certification from an accredited agency (e.g. PADI, BSAC,
NAUI) with at least 30 logged dives.
4) Experience carrying out scientific diving work (e.g. surveys, setting
up manipulative experiments etc.).
5) Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work both
independently and within a team.
Previous experience in the following is highly desirable:
1) Coral biology with emphasis on coral physiology and/or population
2) Maintenance of corals in marine systems.
3) Conducting manipulative aquarium tank experiments.
4) A good understanding of correct design and statistical analysis of
experiments in biology and ecology.
5) Mentoring students in a research setting
The position is scheduled to open in mid-October 2012 but the starting
date may be extended depending on the needs of the successful candidate.
This will be a 2.5 year fixed contract position. Starting salary is
$18,000 MXN per month, tax free and includes 3 months of free housing.
Salary increases of 10% per year are budgeted.
Applicants must submit a cover letter describing their suitability for the
position in a maximum of 2 pages, their curriculum vitae, copies of
relevant publications and the names and contact details of three
references. The application should be sent as one PDF document directly to
me by email (banaszak at cmarl.unam.mx).
Closing date for applications is 30th July 2012. I will be attending the
12ICRS and will be available to answer questions regarding the position.
More information about the Coral-List