[Coral-List] Underwater sculptures

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Wed Jul 4 13:29:12 EDT 2012

Hey Folks,

I think you are unfairly judging Jason's sculptures....nearly all
artificial reefs in tropical waters go through several stages of
growth before hard corals take over (including early brown/red/green
algae blooms....eventually coraline algae and then over time corals
when herbivore fish keep the turf algae off the coraline algae).  I
have been working with Jason over the years to insure he has access to
the correct concrete technologies and his sculptures will become good
artificial reefs over time within the limits of the complexity of the
structures for their own artistic forms.

The problem many people have in understanding artificial reefs (or
even natural reefs when formed from newly exposed hard bottom) is that
there is a progression that takes time.  Think about it this way, if
you plow up the land....lets say in the middle of a rainforest at
first you will see weeds then over time bushes eventually trees and
maybe a hundred years or so down the line you would see a return to a
nearly virgin tropical forest.

Coral reefs are the same way, just can take even longer.  They can be
jumpstarted with some plantings (just like you could plant a few trees
in your cleared land to start it quicker....but time is still
required.

All of Jason's sculptures are relatively new in terms of age for
tropical clear waters (which are the slowest growing as their is the
least amount of nutrients present....one reason the water is clear!).

Thanks,

Todd R Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation
609 PORTIA N ST, NOKOMIS, FL 34275