[Coral-List] Underwater sculptures (Todd Barber)

Jorge Luis Perez-Moreno jorge.perezmoreno at uqconnect.edu.au
Fri Jul 6 11:46:57 EDT 2012

Hello everyone,

During my dives there I have indeed noted a distinct lack of large grazers (scaridae mainly) around the sculptures and also the surrounding reefs (Manchones).

I am unsure as to what the cause of this is, as the place is supposedly a marine protected area and no extraction activities are allowed. However, we should keep in mind that it is not very well policed and poaching incidents do occur from time to time (such as the 50 lobsters Jason mentioned).

It could be a compounded issue combining the fishing pressures before it became a MPA (not sure when this happened though), eventual poaching events, and maybe even the loss of structural complexity of the reef for recruitment of fishes because of algal overgrowth (due to decreased grazing + increased nutrients).

Whatever it is, something that is clear is that Cancun's sewage is playing an important role in this issue.

Cheers,

Jorge Luis