[Coral-List] 82 coral species listing

Keith Carlisle kmcarlisle_1999 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 16:21:44 EDT 2012

I realize that this issue of ESA listing of corals has been beaten to death, but I want to add a slightly different perspective.

I'm currently a graduate student in coastal environmental management, but before returning to school, I practiced law for 15 years. Most recently, I served as legal counsel for a very large auction house, and one of my responsibilities was to ensure that any animal materials (e.g., ivory or coral) imported, exported or sold by the auction house was done so legally. A lot of coral came through our doors, primarily in the form of carved jewelry and decorative art, but also large pieces of uncarved acropora and other stony corals. To the extent the coral or any other animal material was of a species that was legally protected under the ESA or CITES (or could not be identified with reasonable certainty), we turned it away unless there was proper documentation evidencing that it was an antique within the legal definition and had entered the country legally. The amount of coral the auction house sold, however, pales in comparison to the amount sold through
 souvenir/curio shops and through the aquarium trade.