[Coral-List] 82 coral species listing

Esther Peters estherpeters at verizon.net
Wed Jul 11 21:28:17 EDT 2012

Ellen,

But are they really healthy?

In the 1980s (I forget exactly when), John Ogden (then at the West
Indies Laboratory) supported my efforts to further investigate
white-band disease as the Tague Bay, St. Croix, populations of /A.
palmata/ and /A. cervicornis/ were dying. We submitted a proposal to
Puerto Rico Sea Grant, to include funding a microbiologist along with my
histopathology research, because we really needed a microbiologist
involved. PR Sea Grant told us that they would not fund the requested
amount, particularly the microbiologist, but we should "keep monitoring
the situation." That is when I lost interest and due to life had "to get
a real job."

I'm finally back in an academic position and able to continue my
histopathology research on the acroporid tissue loss diseases,
collaborating with others, including microbiologists and molecular
biologists, as well as field ecologists and acroporid nursery managers
(thank you all!). This is possible because there is funding since these
species were listed as threatened. And I feel like we are finally making
progress on identifying the pathogen(s). Not sure where it will lead to
help these species recover, but it is the first step in understanding
what ails them.

And based on research to date, an acroporid may appear to be healthy,
but already be infected by a rickettsia-like organism. If anyone is
sampling "healthy" /A. palmata/ or /A. cervicornis/ for other reasons, I
would be interested in obtaining a small subsample for histopathological
examination (contact me at epeters2 at gmu.edu).

Esther Peters
Department of Environmental Science & Policy
George Mason University