[Coral-List] 82 coral species listing

Eugene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Thu Jul 12 11:54:56 EDT 2012

Thanks Pedro, No we did not have a crystal ball then when Acropora
was dying of disease but we have one now..its called 82 species for
listing. All listing did for Acropora was to make it more difficult
to research the cause of its demise. Have you tried to obtain a
permit to do research on a listed species? Good luck! So if you like
big government and bureaucratic entanglements that make lawyers
richer go for it. Invoking public awareness of course is exactly what
the CBD wants but that will not make the corals get well. Its kind of
like trying to stop the common cold.  Unfortunately such actions are
killing field science. Gene
--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor