[Coral-List] Are coral reefs really doomed?

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Tue Jul 17 13:38:37 EDT 2012

So the question then is, are we anywhere closer to coming to global agreements about control of greenhouse gas emissions now that we were 11 years ago (2001 Coral-List thread)?  I do not think that the treaties signed since then indicate any progress.  As some have already pointed out, the rates of greenhouse emissions have increased in past few years, the ice caps and glaciers are melting faster than models predicted, more species have gone extinct, etc.  It's not just coral reefs that are in trouble, many terrestrial systems, especially the high latitude ones, are in just as bad a situation.  I hope the optimistic powers that will make all of this reverse and go away start working doubly fast!

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Professor of Marine Biology
Center for Marine Science and Dept of Biology and Marine Biology
University of North Carolina Wilmington
5600 Marvin Moss Ln
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
tel:  910-962-2362  fax: 910-962-2410  cell: 910-200-3913
http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta