[Coral-List] Science and advocacy

Gene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Fri Jul 20 11:18:29 EDT 2012

Roger,  I too think the coral list team has done a great job. It has
changed considerably since it started. It was originally for
scientists to communicate...now it is more political and there is
advocacy..But look around! Hasen't everything become more political?
I have done research that some would consider advocacy. For example.
I spent many years doing ground water research in the Keys that was
driven by the issue of sewage disposal. The issue was highly
politically charged and remains so. Politics caused the money to be
available but at the same time I was coring the reefs and keys and
learning more about the geology, tidal pumping, and  why reefs grew
in some places and not others. That was good basic knowledge that we
published and even won a best paper award  for the scientific
information we uncovered. Everyone involved got what they wanted. Our
work had a lot to do with the sewage systems now being installed in
the Keys.  And of course a private company is making money installing
it. NOAA and EPA can take credit..Everyone is happy but the human
population and number of boats and divers in the keys keeps rising.
Gene