[Coral-List] The future of coral reefs

Hughes, Terry terry.hughes at jcu.edu.au
Tue Jul 24 00:21:45 EDT 2012

During 12ICRS, we recorded a TV program for ABC News 24, entitled Can Coral Reefs Survive the 21st Century? The one-hour episode is now available online at http://www.abc.net.au/news/abcnews24/programs/future-forum/. The recording features an international panel of coral reef of experts and practitioners who answered questions in front of an informed audience.
The key issues discussed were: How can we ensure the continued survival of the remaining coral reefs? What role do marine parks play? And while the world's population continues to expand, how can we meet the growing food and energy demands while still protecting coral reefs?

I hope you find the TV program useful and informative, and I encourage you to watch it and decide for yourself about the accuracy of Roger Baradbury's NY Times piece.

For the record, Roger did not submit a manuscript for inclusion in the Proceedings of 12ICRS. He withdrew his abstract, after it was accepted into the Symposium Program by the relevant mini-symposium Chair.

Cheers, Terry
Prof. Terry Hughes FAA
Director, ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies
James Cook University
Townsville, QLD 4811, AUSTRALIA
Fax: 61 (0) 4781-6722
tel: 61 (0)7-4781-4000
http://www.coralcoe.org.au/

"Scientists can help by undertaking solution-focused research, by participating more vigorously in policy debates to improve coral reef legislation and implementation, and by sending the clear message that reefs can still be saved if we try harder." Hughes et al. 2010. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 25: 619-680.