[Coral-List] 82 Corals Status Review under the US Endangered Species Act

Eugene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Thu Jun 14 15:14:15 EDT 2012

  Jennifer, Thank you for clearing up some details in my posting. I
know this whole affair is a burden you folks have to endure.  I want
to mention that the quotes in my rant are exact quotes from e-mails I
received from you folks some time ago. "Closed meetings" was the term
used back then. I added the word "secrete" in my writing for
emphasis. . Here is the exact quote again ("The Florida State
Sunshine Law has no applicability to our action since this is a
federal team.  I am sorry, but we must maintain closed meetings to
keep the team FACA exempt." )

     Much of this process was happening while I was a government
employee so it was not possible for me to attend all the preliminary
meetings. Incidentally I was told the  dates for the Nova meeting is
June 27 (for science presentations) and June 28 (for public
discussions). Once again I do appreciate the pressures you must be
under to comply with the CBD petition.

I noticed in todays posting that you said,

"The designation of areas as critical habitat does not create a closed area,
marine protected area, refuge, wilderness reserve, preservation, or other
conservation area; nor does the desgination affect land ownership. Federal
agencies that undertake, fund, or permit activities that may affect
designated critical habitat areas are required to consult with NOAA
Fisheries Service to ensure that their actions do not adversely modify or
destroy designated critical habitat."

    So what does listing really accomplish? Gene
--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor