[Coral-List] Spawning event

MelissaE Keyes melissae.keyes at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 18 13:12:10 EDT 2012

Hello, all,

Ellen Muller just posted a photo on facebook of a 'grooved brain coral' (sorry, I don't know the Latin name), that was spawning on Bonaire June 16, at 6:20 pm local time, about 1/2 hour before sunset.  She commented, "Just like clockwork."  This is a day or so before the New Moon.

Just thought I'd share.  I witnessed the same thing here on St. Croix several years ago, late afternoon,  before sunset.  The Banded Butterfly fish live up to their name, looking like a pack of butterflies while they peck madly at the coral, eating the eggs.

Cheers,

Melissa