[Coral-List] Fish and Wildlife Service Seeks Public Input on Effective Implementation of CITES

Susan_White at fws.gov Susan_White at fws.gov
Thu Jun 21 14:28:33 EDT 2012

Dear Friends in Coral,

The notice below may be of interest to some of you.  Many corals are
listed on CITES and it is one of the primary tools for international
import and export of coral species.  Your participation is encouraged!

As it says:  Learn more at:
http://www.fws.gov/international/CITES/CoP16.html

Aloha,
Susan

Susan White
Monuments Superintendent / Refuge Project Leader
Pacific Reefs National Wildlife Refuge Complex
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
email:  susan_white at fws.gov             ph:  808/792-9560
http://www.fws.gov/marinenationalmonuments/

><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>
Pacific Remote Islands Marine National Monument
     Baker, Howland, Jarvis, Palmyra Atoll, Kingman Reef,
     Johnston Atoll, Wake Atoll National Wildlife Refuges
Rose Atoll Marine National Monument
     Rose Atoll National Wildlife Refuge
Marianas Trench Marine National Monument
     Marianas Arc of Fire, Mariana Trench National Wildlife Refuges
><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>

----- Forwarded by Susan White/R1/FWS/DOI on 06/21/2012 08:11 AM -----

This message is from the fws-news listserver.  Please DO NOT
REPLY (it just confuses the computers).

Subscribers can't reply or send their own messages to the
fws-news listserver. This listserver is designed mainly as a
"one way street" for the rapid dissemination of information
concerning the Service and its activities, rather than for
gathering feedback.  To contact us, see the explanatory note
at bottom of the message.

Contact:
Danielle Kessler
703-358-2644
danielle_kessler at fws.gov

Claire Cassel
703-358-2357
claire_cassel at fws.gov

Fish and Wildlife Service Seeks Public Input on Effective Implementation
of CITES

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is seeking public comment on
resolutions, decisions, and agenda items affecting the conservation and
management of internationally protected endangered species being
considered for submission to the 16th meeting of the Conference of the
Parties (CoP16) to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered
Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).

Resolutions, decisions and agenda items that the Service is considering
for submittal include a proposal that would make it easier for musicians
to cross international borders when traveling with their personal
instruments containing wood and other materials from CITES-listed species;

a proposal to issue retrospective permits for Appendix I species under
certain limited circumstances; and a proposal to clarify permit
requirements related to leopard trophies.

CITES is an international agreement drafted in 1973 and since then
ratified by 175 countries (referred to as “Parties”) to protect certain
wild animals and plants against over-exploitation as a result of
international trade. Approximately 34,000 species benefit from CITES
protection.

Every two to three years, a meeting of the CoP – the world’s largest and
most influential meeting on international wildlife trade – is held to
review, discuss and negotiate changes in the implementation of CITES,
including changes in protections for certain species. CoP16 is tentatively

scheduled to be held in Bangkok, Thailand, March 3-15, 2013.

As a Party to CITES, the United States may submit documents on ways to
improve the effectiveness of the treaty for consideration at a CoP. In our

Federal Register notice of November 7, 2011, the Service requested
information and recommendations from the public to aid the United States
in developing resolutions, decisions, and agenda items to submit for
consideration.

The proposed resolutions, decisions, and agenda items in today’s Federal
Register notice cover a broad spectrum of procedural, enforcement, and
administrative matters related to the implementation of CITES. Each
recommendation is classified as either “likely,” “undecided,” or “not
likely,” based on the United States’ tentative position on each issue.
This notice also provides information on how non-governmental
organizations based in the United States can attend CoP16 as observers.

Written comments and information concerning this notice can be submitted
by one of the following methods:
        Federal eRulemaking Portal:  http://www.regulations.gov.  Follow
the instructions for submitting comments on Docket No. FWS–R9–IA–2011–
0087.
        U.S. mail or hand-delivery:  Public Comments Processing, Attn:
FWS–R9–IA–2011–0087; Division of Policy and Directives Management; U.S.
Fish and Wildlife Service; 4401 N. Fairfax Drive, MS 2042-PDM; Arlington,
VA 22203.

Comments must be received within 60 days, on or before August 20, 2012.
The Service will post all comments on http://www.regulations.gov. This
generally means the agency will post any personal information provided
through the process. The Service is not able to accept email or faxes.

Information for CoP16 Observers
Representatives from non-governmental organizations (NGOs) technically
qualified in the protection, conservation, or management of wild plants
and animals may request approval to attend CoP16 as non-voting observers.
International NGOs may request approval directly from the CITES
Secretariat.  Observers representing United States NGOs must follow a
two-step process. First, approval must be obtained from the U.S. Fish and
Wildlife Service, Division of Management Authority. Once approval is
granted, a United States NGO must register with the CITES Secretariat at
least six weeks prior to the opening of CoP16 to participate as an
observer.

A request to participate as an observer should include an explanation of
technical qualifications of both the organization and the individual
representative(s) in the protection, conservation, or management of wild
plants and animals. The request should also include copies of the
organization’s charter and/or bylaws, and a list of representatives it
intends to send to CoP16. These requests should be sent to the Division of

Management Authority, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 4401 North Fairfax
Drive, Room 212, Arlington, VA 22203, or via e-mail at:
managementauthority at fws.gov, or via fax at: 703-358-2298.  For complete
guidance on how to apply as an observer to CoP16, please refer to the
Federal Register notice.

To learn more about the United States preparations for CITES CoP16, visit:

http://www.fws.gov/international/CITES/CoP16.html.

The mission of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is working with others
to conserve, protect, and enhance fish, wildlife, plants, and their
habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people. We are both a
leader and trusted partner in fish and wildlife conservation, known for
our scientific excellence, stewardship of lands and natural resources,
dedicated professionals, and commitment to public service. For more
information on our work and the people who make it happen, visit
www.fws.gov. Connect with our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/usfws,
follow our tweets at www.twitter.com/usfwshq, watch our YouTube Channel at

http://www.youtube.com/usfws and download photos from our Flickr page at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/usfwshq.

-FWS-

News releases are also available on the World Wide Web at
http://news.fws.gov

Questions concerning a particular news release or item of
information should be directed to the person listed as the
contact. General comments or observations concerning the
content of the information should be directed to Malcomb Barsella
(malcomb_barsella at fws.gov) in the Office of External Affairs.

To unsubscribe from the fws-news listserver, send e-mail to
fws-news-request at lists.fws.gov. Enter "unsubscribe" in the subject field.
.